Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Ketchup gives Independence a whirl

I have always been a mother who promotes self-reliance and independence; I think these are life skills best learned early on. Eldest has always been keen to follow with my program but Little One has been somewhat more hesitant (and that's an understatement).

I was the mom who, in the waiting room at preschool, would pull out a chair and let my child take their own boots off in the winter and put on their own velcro fastened running shoes. Other moms have always marvelled at the fact that Eldest is so independent - and I can't say that I haven't been extremely proud of that fact.

Little One though, has given me a lot of resistance (picture a donkey) in terms of doing things on her own. Commonly heard requests include, "I can't cut my waffle mommy and I'm sooo hungry!", "I can't carry this, it's too heavy!", and my favourite, "Can you do it for me, please?" Believe me, I've tried the tough approach - that poor kid has sat there for a good 45 minutes staring at a waffle before. All I ask is that she at least try to do it.

This morning though, we turned a corner! After placing a waffle in front of lovely's face, without prompting, she actually picked up her fork and knife and cut the waffle! Not only that but she didn't request my help or complain about doing it either - joy!

I'm hopeful that this is the start of some great things.

No comments:

Post a Comment